Sunday, August 22, 2010

Polako, bona.


There's a word here in Sarajevo that's used a lot, and it resonates with the Aussie in me - polako (poh-la-ko). It has a simple and humble meaning: slowly (direct translation), do what you're doing with ease (indirect) - or in Aussie terms, take it easy, mate.

So I've been trying to take that advice a little bit. Ease up and take pleasure in things like the fact that I can eat breakfast on my bedroom window sill while looking over the overgrown hedge, and take in the view of Sarajevo from my perched little spot on the hill. Take pleasure in the fact that I live on a hill - be humbled by the fact that not everything is around the corner - and that it takes time and effort to get to places and do all the shopping I need in one go. Then there's also the ease one has to force on themselves when you get your first fine for fare evasion on a tram (fuckers!) and the complete and utter disappointment that comes with realising your wallet's gone missing in Bosnia.

In the last couple of weeks I've parted with my wallet which I got from my first ever Woodford experience and all it's precious contents, I've been mildly homesick while watching the crazy freak show circus that is our federal election, I've gone on a pretty wild overnight train experience to Zagreb in Croatia in order to vote at the Australian embassy with my friend Juliet, I've started a project called 365 (you take a photo that defines your day for 365 days in order to document your life over a year), I've met a radical environmentalist - a novelty here in Bosnia, I've had a friend visit for a week, I've hosted my first couch surfer (most likely to be future housemate back in Melbourne...crazy), and I've discovered the wonderful world of DM - the German Priceline-esque store that makes me feel like I'm back home with it's earl grey tea and muesli.

Deep breath.

Wow. It's been a big couple of weeks when I put it like that!

I've noticed myself falling into a bit of a trap though - my life has become a bit of a permanent holiday in some ways. I've committed myself to translation work with an environmental activist group, but the work is freelance so I take my work home. Did I mention I have a degree in procrastination? A PhD, in fact! On the agenda for the next 6 weeks- hopefully get into a routine of walking these hills that surround me (don't worry I'll go where there aren't any land mines!), keep on practicing guitar, and hopefully get into more of this environmental activist work.

One thing that I will be starting this week is setting up a green curriculum for primary schools. It's a total pilot project that I'm going to be working on with my new friend Adis, and we have no true idea of how successful it'll be in practice, but we're gonna give it a damn good shot. My idea was to set up a set of 5 or 6 themes surrounding the most important environmental issues in Sarajevo, using a common lesson plan or template proforma. That's about as far as I've got with my idea at this stage - but hoping to turn it into something practical by the time I'm due to leave!

The next week will also consist of potentially a trip to Gradiska (depending on one of my grandma's plans) and a canyoning trip - that's right...I've signed up for some extreme sport action next weekend - let's hope I come back in one piece. I'm a little nervous, but...well...fuck it. Polako, and it'll all be fine.

And on that note, I am going to spare you my political commentary and leave this blog void of politics.

Hope you are all well, full and happy my darling readers.

Thanks and polako, bona!

Sej xx

No comments:

Post a Comment